Saturday, February 9, 2013

Grids Painting?

So like I said yesterday I am half confused, but my interpretation of this exercise if I were doing it myself would be to use the washes as the spatial finder based on the semi-controlled interactions between the pigment, diving into the intensities or non intensities to further explore those spaces. The grids drawing could help begin to think about the structure within the vertical oriented wash. Using Photoshop filters, layers, cropping, etc. you can further explore the spaces and structure simultaneously (zooming in to a particular section and zooming out to view the whole painting) so then the structure of the music can help shape the spaces, and the spaces within the structure influence the connections/scale of the grids themselves.

Am I lost? I just want to make sure I don't push the students in an off direction. 

This YouTube link you might have seen before its about some artworks of Thom Mayne dealing with an organized non-rectilinear structure, for some reason this came to mind yesterday as you were drawing with charcoal yesterday, not sure if this is also a way to think about the grids painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyFAeNzpK0

- Charles

3 comments:

  1. You are on track. I have tried to paint verbal pictures using comments. Have you read my comments at http://avp2013.blogspot.com/? I want them to explore the fields, using grids and most of all begin mastery Ps and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have been reading the comments, I will stop in later tonight around 7 to see how they are doing and see if I can provide some Ps almost master skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely put! I wish I was doing this project right now too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.