Hey! This is my first post ever!!
I went in to see how the students are handling the assignment late last night and in my opinion, most seem to be in a similar place. They are struggling with making there ideas. This is a constant battle that I think we all face in design but I think there number 1 issue as of right now is bringing the ideas that they have about grafting into a tangible form. They have had plenty of time to respond to Professor Bender and the TA's comments. I'm not sure about the time line but I know they could use a little push! When I talked to them they knew what they wanted so I tryed to give them some hints at what direction to continue in. For example, Levi has a really interesting detail model that, by now, has clearly helped him think about the construction of the horizontal plans... clearly! So before Wednesdays class I suggested for him to create two more developing ideas about ground and stereotomics. He never made the other two.. but he has taken the idea of experimentation and developed some interesting studies that, according to him have helped. So I think talking with Levi did help him just not in the way I had thought and maybe a not as effective way. Last night he was developing the "floors" with ease thanks to his bigger study model and then he got stuck.
-Corey
Writing About Design Education - This class is conceived as a meta-studio, a studio about studio. It provides a setting for reflective examination of studio guidance and outcomes. In other words, writing about work performed in studio and how it comes about. Led by a design studio professor as a seminar coordinated with a design studio. Students in this seminar will serve as teaching assistants to the studio in order to have first hand knowledge of the assignments and work.
Corey, very good observations about the class. I always find that the students get stuck and drag along in the first project. The push they should get unfortunate comes too late; their first grade. Your observations concerning Levi are also right on. Suggesting stereotomic exploration, in the form of other models was good advice. Based on what I have seen from Levi so far, I think he is a linear and additive thinker (iterative), not comfortable with compound, or combinative, or integrative thinking (which is what I push!). We should continue to suggest non-linear explorations in the studio (and not forget to address them in studio).
ReplyDelete