Writing About Design Education - This class is conceived as a meta-studio, a studio about studio. It provides a setting for reflective examination of studio guidance and outcomes. In other words, writing about work performed in studio and how it comes about. Led by a design studio professor as a seminar coordinated with a design studio. Students in this seminar will serve as teaching assistants to the studio in order to have first hand knowledge of the assignments and work.
Friday, January 21, 2011
Ground Work
So, I'm curious and perhaps I should have asked this earlier but you want the students to manipulate the ground, correct? Is that just restricted to within the 20 feet past the garage? or the field? I ask since part of the program involves the podia, thinking about the marching band, etc, shouldn't they be working the field as well since the marching band is out IN the field. I feel that not addressing the field is a bit of a missed opportunity, especially when I think about the connection from the field to the garage. How do I arrive? How do I enter? Am I pulled in spatially or kept out? Anyway, just some thoughts......not sure if there legitimate or not
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I realize that it may seem important to extend the manipulation of ground out into the field. I debated this prior to the beginning of the semester. Ultimately, I made the decision to restrict the extension. I feel that it is important for a designer to understand the ability of a design to impact its surroundings without territorially "owning" them. This is an important urbanistic idea, and one that can be explored throughout the history of space making. Does the limitation result in missed opportunity? I do not think so; the connection from the field to the garage can be rendered compactly but with great effect. How one arrives, how one enters, how one is pulled in spatially or kept out are all able to be addressed within the limitation prescribed. In fact the challenge of doing so creates the opportunity make a powerful transformation, both to the garage and the field that does not limit or predict its further use for programs not yet imagined like colonizing it would. Thank you Dan!
ReplyDelete